Categories: Business

Railways has so far run 806 Shramik special trains says FM

Photo: FILE PHOTO

shramik special train

new Delhi. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Thursday that the Center, in collaboration with the state governments, has provided trains for migrant laborers to go home. He said that the Railways has so far transported one million workers to their homes through 806 special labor trains. These migrant workers were stranded in various states due to the lockdown due to Kovid-19. "This government is concerned about the migrants," Sitharaman told reporters here. It hurts us to see that migrant laborers are walking on the streets with their families, children and belongings. I just want to tell you that our government has definitely provided train facilities to these people in collaboration with the states.

The Finance Minister said that 1,200 special labor trains are available. 300 such trains can be run every day. He claimed that as soon as the state governments said that they needed such a number of trains, in three to five hours they provided trains at the station to take the passengers back to their state. Sitharaman said, "Railways have so far run 806 laborers special trains through which 10 lakh migrant laborers were transported to their destination. The Center and the state are working together to bring the migrants to their homes. "He said that the Central Government will bear 85 percent of the cost of operating the train. The remaining 15 percent burden will be borne by the state governments. The minister said that so far Uttar Pradesh has requested 386 such trains. Bihar has requested 204, Madhya Pradesh 67, Jharkhand 44, Rajasthan 18 and Chhattisgarh and West Bengal have requested seven trains each.

This post was published on May 15, 2020 12:39 am

Content Team

Recent Posts

Suzlon's losses more than doubled to Rs 834.22 crore in fourth quarter, CEO resigns

Photo: GOOGLE Suzlon loss widens to Rs 834.22 cr in March quarter new Delhi. The integrated net loss of wind…

Lockdown Impact: Tea production decreased by 54 percent in April, yields 3.90 crore kg

Photo: GOOGLE Lockdown impact: Tea production down 54 per cent in April new Delhi. According to Tea Board data, India's…

After India, Chinese apps including TikTok will be banned in US, Foreign Minister Mike Pompeo signs

Photo: GOOGLE United States is looking at banning Chinese apps, including TikTok Washington After the government of India banned 59…