Categories: Business

Tomato prices skyrocket to Rs 80 per kg in Delhi-NCR | Sweating started seeing red tomatoes, price reached Rs 80 a kg in Delhi-NCR

Photo: GOOGLE

Tomato prices skyrocket to Rs 80 per kg in Delhi-NCR

new Delhi. While the monsoon rains brought relief from the heat and humidity, on the other hand, expensive tomatoes made people sweat. Tomato prices have reached Rs 80 per kg in the national capital, Delhi and NCR. Wholesale traders and vegetable vendors say the arrival of tomatoes has declined in the producing states due to crop failure due to rain. Prices are also expected to fall on the arrival of a new tomato crop next week.

According to the Department of Consumer Affairs, the retail price of tomatoes has increased by 58 percent during the last seven days in Delhi. On 26 June, the retail price of tomatoes in Delhi was Rs 34 per kg, which rose to Rs 58 per kg on 3 July. Even though this increase in government figures is 58 percent, this growth is actually more than 100 percent. In Delhi, Noida, Ghaziabad and some areas of Gurugram, the retail price of tomatoes is 70 to 80 rupees per kg. The difference in prices of tomatoes at different locations is also partly due to differences in its variety.

Tomato prices skyrocket to Rs 80 per kg in Delhi-NCR

According to Department of Consumer Affairs 3 July 2020 Retail prices of potato, onion and tomato in various cities

city potato onion tomatoes
Chandigarh 23 20 30
Delhi 32 25 58
Hisar 25 18 50
Lucknow 27 20 60
Raipur 30 25 70
Bhopal 25 10 50
Mumbai 38 34 55
Patna 25 18 55
Kolkata 25 20 65
Bengaluru 30 22 46
Chennai 32 17 50

Wholesale prices rise 10 times

The wholesale price of tomatoes has increased by 10 times during the last one month. A month ago, tomato prices in Delhi's Azadpur mandi ranged from Rs 1.25 to Rs 4.75 per kg, while on July 3, the wholesale price was recorded from Rs 6 per kg to Rs 44 per kg. Talking about the model rate, the model rate of tomato was Rs 3 per kg in Azadpur mandi on June 3, which increased to Rs 29 per kg, which is almost 10 times higher on 3 July.

According to Department of Consumer Affairs 26 June 2020 Retail prices of potato, onion and tomato in various cities

city potato onion tomatoes
Chandigarh 15 16 20
Delhi 30 25 34
Hisar 25 15 20
Lucknow 26 20 40
Raipur 30 25 50
Bhopal 25 10 20
Mumbai 38 35 50
Patna 25 20 50
Kolkata 24 24 50
Bengaluru 30 26 17
Chennai 35 20 35

Reduced arrival of tomatoes

Azadpur Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (APMC) Chairman Adil Ahmad Khan said that prices have increased due to reduced arrival of tomatoes. The arrival of tomatoes in Azadpur mandi on June 3 was 528.2 tonnes, while on July 3 it was 281.6 tonnes. Thus, the arrivals have reduced to almost half in a month. He said that the price of all vegetables and fruits, not only tomatoes, has increased, which is a major reason for the increase in the price of diesel. He said that the increase in the price of diesel has increased the transportation cost of vegetables.

New tomato crop will start from next week

Khan told that from next week a new tomato crop will start coming from Himachal Pradesh, after which the prices will fall. He informed that at present 90 percent of arrival in Delhi is coming from Himachal Pradesh, while the remaining 10 percent is coming from Haryana and Karnataka.

This post was published on July 4, 2020 1:34 pm

Content Team

Recent Posts

Microsoft in talk to invest $ 100 million in sharechat

Photo: MICROSOFT Microsoft in talk to invest $ 100 million in sharechat new Delhi. Microsoft can invest about $ 100…

uco bank cuts MCLR, IOB cuts base rate

Photo: PTI Uco Bank new Delhi. Today, two public sector banks have lowered their lending rates. UCO Bank has cut…

DoT set to allow contact less verification for mobile customers

Photo: GOOGLE DoT set to allow contact less verification for mobile customers new Delhi. In the midst of the Corona…